What is Microblading Semi Permanent Make Up?
Microblading is a type of semi permanent brows are perfect for anyone wanting to ‘enhance’ their brows with colour/shape in the form of 3D hair strokes which provide a soft textured look and give the impression of hair simulation. If you pencil your brows in for extra definition, this could be the treatment for you! Microblading, also known as Eyebrow Embroidery is a procedure which provides a natural enhancement finish. The results of Microblading typically last between 6 months to 18 months, depending on skin type and aftercare following the procedure. The procedure is carried out using a handtool (a blade) which consists of ultra fine needles and each hair stroke is etched in to the skin. Although the results from Microblading are more natural they can dramatically transform your face. This procedure is also perfect for brow reconstruction – an excellent treatment for those wanting to enhance their brows, have very little brow hair or even none. Pigments used are chosen to match the natural hair colour (skin tone is also taken in to consideration.
How long does the procedure take?
The full procedure is carried out over 2 treatments. The first session can last up to 2.5 hours. During this session I will draw the shape of your brows using measurements specific to your own facial dimensions and we will agree the shape, style and pigment choice together prior to starting the procedure.
A top-up procedure is required 4-6 weeks after the first treatment to complete the full procedure. We can also discuss any minor colour changes or areas for touch ups. This session will take up to 1.5 hours to complete.
Most clients only require 2 sessions however on occasion some clients do require a 3rd session (typically those who are prone to oily skin, large pores or poor aftercare).
The brow area will be slightly red after the procedure has taken place and the colour of the brow will appear very dark. This is a normal part of the healing process but the colour fades up to 40% as it heals. In the first few days (up to a full week) your brows will continue to be darker than the healed results and you might notice slight scabbing on the brows. Brows must not be “picked at” whilst healing, even if they are itchy as this will affect the results of your treatment. After around 4 weeks the colour will be fully set. I do advise due to the nature of the healing process that I would avoid booking your microblading treatment if you have a big occasion/event on in the first 7 days due to the brows being darker than “normal” for you.
Is a touch up necessary?
Yes – a 4-6 week top up is definitely necessary. Any further touch ups will depend on your skin type and aftercare. Semi Permanent makeup is not a guarantee for everyone. If you have oily skin, several top ups might be required before achieving the results you want. You will be advised of this at the consultation stage and then it depends on yourself – whether you want to proceed. Often clients with dry skin retain colour the best and get great results! Sun exposure (and sun beds) and facial treatments such a microdermabrasion, laser treatments, chemical peels etc could also affect your results. Pigment colour can be adjusted as well as brow thickness and extra strokes. Most importantly, your top-up session will refine your brows and help the colour to retain.
Is it uncomfortable?
This depends on your tolerance for pain. I would say some breeze through it…some find it a bit uncomfortable but bearable and some find the pain to be mild. A topical numbing cream can be added to the skin later in the procedure to make it more comfortable, only once the skin has been broken. Clients must supply their own numbing cream due to legislation (again this will be discussed at consultation) and advice will be given as to what to buy. Most clients do not feel the need to use a topical numbing cream prior to the treatment. After the procedure there might be some slight swelling and redness.
Am I suitable for the treatment?
Some people are not suitable for this treatment and must be honest at consultation if there are any concerns. Clients sign a disclaimer before the treatment to take full responsibility of completing an honest medical questionnaire. There are some areas where a doctors note must be provided to allow the treatment to go ahead. I will not carry out any procedures on anyone if I have any reservations on health/skin concerns.
Microblading is not suitable (or may require further action) for the following;
- If you have had any semi permanent brow treatment within the last 6 months (microblading or tattoo) by a different technician
- Using Accutane
- Have a heart condition or take medication for heart conditions
- Have skin disease or skin irritations
- Had botox or a chemical peel in the last 2 weeks
- Allergic to lidocaine, benzocaine, tetracaine or ehinephrine
- Pregnant or nursing mothers will be carried out at my discretion. I suggest discussing with your GP first.
- Some types of scarring over the brow area
- Plastic surgery less than 6 months ago
Medical approval is required for the following;
- Cardio-vascular disorders
- Blood clotting disorders and problems
Important treatment information about Microblading
- The treatment is a form of cosmetic tattooing;
- Multiple sessions may be required;
- Infections can occur;
- Allergic reactions to pigments and topical anaesthetics can occur;
- You may experience minor bleeding;
- A top-up/retouch cannot be performed until the treatment area is completely healed;
- In rare cases, pigment can migrate under the skin;
- A negative sensitivity patch test will not guarantee that you will not have an allergic reaction;
- Possible scarring and inconsistency of colour can occur;
- Permanent cosmetics can trigger outbreaks of dormant herpes whether or not you are aware of its existence, but it cannot be the cause of herpes.
- Do not take aspirin, ibuprofen or coumadin for two days before and two days after the treatment. However, you must not discontinue any prescribed medication before consulting your doctor;
- Alcohol must not be consumed in the 24 hours prior to your treatment;
- Refrain from using sunbeds and avoid natural sun exposure for two weeks before and two weeks after treatment
- The treatment area must be kept dry whilst it is healing. I recommend a gentle facial cleanser or wipe for the rest of the face during this time;
- Keep hair away to prevent infection;
- Do not expose the treatment area to extreme heat, cold or moisture for two weeks following your treatment. This includes direct sunlight, tanning beds, saunas, steam rooms, hot tubs, fake tan and swimming;
- Do not pick, peel or scratch the treatment area as this could result in scarring or infection;
- Avoid applying makeup to the treatment area until the area has healed;
- If you are a blood donor, you may not be eligible to give blood for four months after your procedure;
- Avoid all hair removal and tinting treatments for two weeks until after the procedure
***PATCH TEST AND CONSULTATION MUST BE CARRIED OUT 48 HOURS BEFORE TREATEMENT ***
***ALL APPOINTMENTS TAKE PLACE AT MY STUDIO IN GUISBOROUGH. MICROBLADING IS NOT A MOBILE SERVICE AND SHOULD NEVER BE CARRIED OUT ON A MOBILE BASIS DUE TO REGULATIONS AND INSURANCE COMPLIANCE***.
If you are considering microblading, or have had microblading done elsewhere and looking for a refresh, you must attend a free consultation/patch test before booking. You can book a FREE CONSULTATION here.